Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Where's the "Real"?

Not off to a great start with this thing. Maybe for today I'll just link to Jonah Lehrer's site about his new book. It's called Imagine - How Creativity Works.

I'm about two thirds of the way through it and find that I'm constantly comparing myself to the examples in the book. (Ego sneaking up on me again and again.) Mostly though, it's really inspiring. It really makes the point that creativity is something that can be fostered and brought about in one's life.

I agree wholeheartedly. For me, it's always been central to my existence going back to my first deep experience with music, which lead to me embarking on a life long search - longing for more of the "real" that I had found in that experience.

These days I find more and more that I want to sit and look inward and see what wants to come out (musically). Sometimes it's nothing. More often though there's a lot there and it ends up being frustrated because the tools aren't in place to put the feeling into a medium. Bits and pieces float to the surface, but none of them have come together to be fully realized yet. And then I sit in the studio and fumble about, feeling like I'm going somewhere, but knowing it's going to be a long bumpy ride while I learn how to drive and navigate. There's a great quote from This American Life's Ira Glass out there somewhere that is totally appropriate here but I don't know where to find it at the moment. Actually I just found it here. Check it out.

As I have achieved the skills necessary for success(whatever that means) in other avenues of creativity in my life, most notably in the wood shop building basses and guitars, I have a sense that it can be done. I know now that I just need to find the time and space to do it. And I need to stick with it.

So these days I'm wanting to spend a lot of time gaining facility with my guitar, bass, drums, voice, and in my studio. I want to put the mechanisms in place to allow that expression to see the light of day. Hopefully in a way that can be recorded and not fumbled too badly into a medium that can successfully convey the "real" that I feel like sharing.

How do I reconcile that with a busy life as a business owner, father, and committed boyfriend? Good question...

Ok. I guess that's not too bad a start. This just might be a lot of fun.


2 comments:

  1. I fell onto the slippery slope of needing to get the studio perfect before I could start "creating." As you say, at some point, you just have to let it out.

    I think it's amazing that you have multiple outlets for your creativity, because for me, I hold my NX5 and can't imagine the amount of heart that went into designing and making it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The notion of instrument perfection goes back to the days of the kings and queens. He had to have the best armorer, the best blacksmith, the best horse trainer, and on, just to keep the kingdom running smoothly and repugnant to marauders. She, one day, taps His Majesty on the shoulder and says, "My lute sucks. Pretty please, could you get me a better luthier?" And he did.

    Your insights hit home here, Carey. Separating the day job, committed as you are, is difficult, but Ira is right.

    I learned from an artist friend who says, "I like to put myself into a corner and see if I can get out. I might discover something new." Looking for perfection sends you down a very different, un-creative lane.

    Keep on keepin' on in that studio! There's something new there waiting to present itself!

    Kindly,

    Lee

    ReplyDelete