Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hey! I made that!

Here's a blast from the past creatively.
This pickup was made before I had a laser machine. Or a cnc winding machine. The holes were marked and drilled on a drill press. The perimeter of the parts was cut with a router and a template.
The cover was made with a template to rout the pocket and then trimmed to size on a table saw.




This is the bass the pickup was in:




This bass was made in my three car garage probably about a year after I quit working for John Suhr. Totally "hand made". I even sprayed the finish myself.
Sometimes I seem to forget that I made these things. I'm not sure why. They show up for some tlc (this one had a problem with the pickup and the owner just wanted to have it 'gone over') and I pull them out and think "wow, this is pretty nice".
Maybe I was so in the moment when I made them that I let them go completely shortly after they leave (from a spiritual perspective this would be ideal). Or maybe there's something darker there. A rebellious sense of wanting to not be too connected to - and have my identity too strongly linked - to my work. Somehow I think I find that limiting. Lots to explore there.
"In the moment". Big stuff.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. hah if I had had some wound up 20 year old kid begging me for photos every 48 hours or so, I'd probably have been anxious to get that thing the hell out of my shop. :)

    ReplyDelete