Friday, May 25, 2012

Mixing It Up

Wheee!  Now this is fun!


I'm still working on the cover tune that I mentioned earlier.  Today I got to sink my teeth into some mixing.  

I LOVE mixing!  

It's what I went to school for almost 20 years ago now.  Having this studio with all the good gear and plug ins is quite a joy.  To hear the raw tracks and to be able to hear in my head what they are capable of becoming is one thing.  Having the tools and learning how to use them to get that sound out of one's head and into the mix is another.  And it's a blast!

We still have to track live drums.  And Mike is coming back in next Wednesday to have another go at the vocals.  

Drums are intimidating.  I'm going to do a full 8 channels.  Getting a good sound is going to be a good trick.  But even just messing around last week with 4 channels I got a very decent sound.  So I should be ok.

I think the drums are really going to bring the whole thing together.  I can't wait to dig into mixing them!!!

I will put up another sample some time next week.  After the new vocals and maybe after the drums.

Then I have to get a website together.  I want to do a What's New page.  How many record labels have a What's New Page?  I think it's a pretty cool idea.  Almost daily updates would be fun and could really generate a following.  It would be a chance to watch and see if the thing can get off the ground.  Maybe it would go the way my guitar company went.  And what goes on in studios is always such a mystery and typically veiled in secrecy.  This would be an honest and open way to really bring forth the music and the process of creating the music.

That would be quite a cool thing.

1 comment: